Click on the links below to find out more
Leather or Fabric
The first consideration for many people when choosing a style of sofa is its material:
- Leather is a natural material which can look stylish and modern and can be an investment piece, but lifestyle must be taken into account when choosing the type of leather you go for. As a general rule, leather wears in, whilst fabric wears out. All our leather sofas are hand finished by expert craftsmen. No two hides are exactly the same - every one has a unique grain and character and will naturally stretch and crease.
- Leather Quality
- To help you choose, we rate the quality of the leather on the seating area. They do not refer to the design features or dimensions of each sofa, only the leather:
Supreme Quality - It looks, feels and smells first class in every way. It's sumptuously soft, yet heavyweight and hardwearing using only the finest quality leather.
Luxury Quality - Soft and luxuriously comfortable, this strokeable leather is delicate and supple, perfect to sink into to relax and unwind. Everyday Quality - Our most popular leather quality, combining durability and comfort at a great price. Hardwearing and resistant to everyday stains.
Semi-aniline Leather - A soft, beautiful and pliable, high quality leather with a natural finish so you can see the variations in the hide that add to its character and charm and distinguish it from imitations. Expertly crafted with distinctive design details to add an extra dimension of luxury. This kind of leather can actually look better as it ages. This does have surface colours added, so it has a soft feel, but with a little more ease of care. Highly recommended.
Corrected-grain Leather - Soft, comfortable and extremely hard-wearing. This is the most commonly used leather. This long lasting material has a specially treated surface to make it thicker and to remove natural markings - and colour corrected to give you a smooth blemish-free finish. It's a quality, hardwearing leather that will stand up to the wear and tear of children or pets. The most economical leather option.
Bi-cast leather - These are used on occasional pieces and use a mix of leather with a tough polyurethane coating to create a glossy finish in a choice of colourways.
Faux Leather - Both affordable and ethical - it gives you the luxurious look of leather for a fraction of the cost - and without using animal products. Faux Suede - This microfibre looks and feels similar to suede - and its free from animal products
- Fabric is making a big come back and can be an affordable option for families looking for cosy comfort. Here are the benefits of some the most popular sofa fabrics you can choose from.
- Chenille - A luxurious and wonderfully soft to the touch fabric that adds a cosy feel to any room.
Cotton - Natural cotton is a soft-touch option with a superb depth of colour and detail.
Removable washable covers - Most sofas are supplied with fixed covers, but some have removable loose cotton covers which are machine washable. These are an ideal choice for families and pet owners as the covers can be easily removed and machine washed at 40? C - so they keep your sofa looking its best.
Wipe clean covers - Ideal if you have children or pets. They are easily to clean if there's an accident.
What combination and shape do I want?
Most suites are available as individual pieces so you can make up any combination you choose.
If you are short of space then maybe a traditional 3-seater settee and 2 armchairs might take up too much room. You should then consider a corner group or two 2-seater sofas.
If room is tight or the shape is awkward, consider choosing a sofa with a narrower arm to give the impression of more space.
Sofas and chairs with high backs suit rooms with higher ceilings. Lower backs give the impression of space in more compact rooms, but also look stunning in open plan rooms to give a greater feeling of space.
- How do I choose comfort and support?
- Go for a strong and sturdy shape that can withstand wear to give you better value for money. Sofa fillings should also be considered depending on whether you want a firm support or soft, plump furniture
- Some of our sofas and chairs have a reclining option. By gently pulling a lever on the side of the sofa or chair, you can ease back to the perfect angle to read, watch TV or just nod off for some 40 winks.
- There's no better way to relax after a busy day than by putting your feet up. Some of our footstools can be bought as part of a suite while others are available separately. Some have built-in storage for books and magazines etc.
Which colour and design should I choose?
This one's up to you and much will depend on your personal taste and the overall colour scheme you've chosen for your room. You could opt for a contemporary design or go for something more cosy and traditional. You may decide to choose something bright and bold or keep it simple and stylishly neutral.
Unless you have a particular room style in mind or live in a small space, you will most likely choose to have armchairs that perfectly match your sofa. But a trendy take on the 3-piece suite is to have armchairs in a contrasting style or colour to your sofa
How to order a FREE swatch
Whichever sofa you're interested in, our FREE Swatch Service will help you to make sure you're making the right choice. Simply click on the ‘Request a Free Swatch' link on the product page of the sofa you're interested in & follow the easy steps. Alternatively, you can call 08448 222 321. We'll send you a sample of the fabric or leather within 48 hours so that you can check that it matches with your decor.
Choosing the right sofa
When choosing your sofa it's important to make sure that it not only suits the dimensions and shape of your room but that it can fit into your room.
So it always makes sense to measure your space first. To visualise the size of your new suite, it is a good idea to measure against your existing suite and deduct or add on any extra length.
Alternatively, an easy way is to lay out newspaper to the size of your sofa so you can see how much room it takes up - and how much legroom you will have, especially if you buy a recliner.
If you are buying items with drawer space please make sure that there is room for drawers to open within the space you intend to place them.
The illustrations below indicate the key measurements which need to be checked before ordering.
In order to assist you with your measurements, please refer to our conversion chart:
|1 inch = 2.54 centimetres||1 centimetre = 0.394 inches|
|1 foot = 30.5 centimetres||1 metre = 39.4 inches|
|1 foot = 0.305 metres||1 metre = 3.28 feet|
1.Your sofa or chair width must be less than the width of the doorway.
2.Your sofa width must be less than the height of the doorway or the room access.
3.This is only a guide: you should also consider any awkward angles or narrow hallways and stairwells etc that need to be negotiated from the delivery van to your room.
Should you envisage any delivery problems regarding access to your home, please mention these when placing your order. e.g. You live in a block of flats and the only access for large goods is via the buildings goods lift at the rear of the building.
- We select high-density foam as it's firm and supportive and bounces back and keeps its shape.
- Fibre is softer and more comfortable than foam so it is used on back cushions.
- Fibre Wrap
- The foam is wrapped in fibre so you have both the support of the foam and the softness of the fibre.
- Fibre With A Foam Core
- This is used for seat cushions. It's mostly fibre with the foam in pockets for a squashier feel.
All you have to do with fibre is turn the cushions regularly or plump them up to prevent sagging.
- Should I choose fixed or reversible cushions?
- Some sofas have seat and back cushions which are fixed and cannot be removed. Some have reversible cushions - here the cushions can be turned around to give them even wear to keep them looking better for longer.
- Scatter Cushions
This is where you can have fun! You can totally transform the look and feel of your seating with cushions. We have an amazing array of styles, colours, sizes and fabrics.
Cushions are a real feature on a sofa so have lots of them. They can either perfectly match your chairs, rugs or curtains or contrast beautifully depending on your personal style.
Washable covers mean they can last and last but cushions are also an affordable way to update your room or decor without the expensive of buying new furniture.
All our upholstery attains or exceeds British Standards for performance, strength, stability and compliance to Furniture & Furnishing Fire (Safety) regulations. Our upholstery is tested by independent laboratories to ensure that we maintain the highest standards of quality.
All of our sofas are beautifully designed and all of the workmanship that goes into each piece and the materials we use are of a high quality. Each item should be selected with its specific use and your lifestyle in mind to ensure you get the maximum enjoyment from your furniture.
- We assemble our frames to the highest standards, using carefully selected woods from seasoned timber for load-bearing areas. These are then screwed/ and or glued to give added strength, durability, rigidity and shape.
- Springs & Webbing
- Serpentine-shaped springs or pocket springs are used for flexibility. Generally polypropylene webbings are used for comfort and the seat springs are under a lining on which the cushions are placed.
Keep Your Furniture Kid Proof!
Accidents are bound to happen - so if the kids spill juice on the sofa, Furniture Insurance could ensure it gets repaired or replaced - so you can relax.
- Cover for 3 years
- Items that are accidentally damaged or structurally defective could be repaired or replaced.
- Spread the cost of the cover with your K Account
Terms & Conditions apply. The cover exclude some situations for example; negligence or reckless use, willful abuse or misuse and wear and tear. Furniture Insurance is offered by Shop Direct Home Shopping Limited. Underwritten by London General Insurance Company Limited. Registered Office: Integra House, Floor 2, Vicarage Road, Surrey, TW20 9JZ. Registered Number 1865673. London General Insurance is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority .
Sofa beds are a great way to save space. There are two main types of sofa bed;
Click-clack action and foam flop out sofa beds are ideal for occasional use only.
Metal action sofa beds are more durable and are ideal for more regular use
Keep your sofa looking at its best
By using this guide and its recommendations you will prolong the look of your upholstery.
While we are busy dusting and vacuuming, it is easy to forget our upholstery, but just as much dust falls there. Vacuum clean your upholstery at least once a week as accumulated dirt will dull colours and may emphasise any wear. Pre-brushing with a soft brush may help to remove dust from fabric upholstery.
- Avoid excessive wear & tear- Do not allow children to jump up and down on the upholstery.
- Avoid allowing pets on the upholstery as their claws may damage the fabric or leather.
- Avoid sitting on the arms of the upholstery or on the front edge of the seat as this can compress the foam and cause premature wear and distortion.
- Turn reversible seat and back cushions regularly as foam-filled cushions can soften and reduce slightly in thickness in the early stages of use. It will also allow for more even wear and help your suite look better for longer.
- Fibre-filled cushions require regular plumping up to reshape them.
- If your suite has a decorative fringe, take care when vacuuming your carpet. Move the furniture to clean underneath it rather than running the cleaner along the side of the upholstery.
- Upholstered furniture should not be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods as colours may fade. Protect them by drawing your curtains or blinds.
- Do not place your furniture in direct contact with strong heat: leave a 30cm (1ft) gap between upholstery and radiators.
- Zips assist in the ease of manufacture and do not necessarily mean that the cover is removable for cleaning.
- Refer to any sewn-in care labels inside the product or contact your customer advisor.
- Some suites may be treated with a protective finish (Scotchguard, Teflon etc) which doesn't help in the prevention of stains, only in the removal of them.
Top tips for cleaning your fabric upholstery - Do's & Don'ts
- Do blot any excess liquid from accidental spillages with a clean sponge.
- Do always take care to follow the the manufacturer's instructions before using any cleaning aids.
- Do test the cleaning product on a hidden area first.
- Do use a clean damp (not wet) cloth and if necessary use a gentle cleaning aid for general dirt and stains.
- Do always use white cloths when treating stains, to avoid transferring colours.
- Do put a pad underneath, where possible, to absorb any surplus liquid.
- Do ensure you always use a clean area of the cloth, changing it regularly to avoid working the substance back into the fabric.
- Don't rub or scrub as this will spread the stain and may damage the fabric.
- Don't use hot water as this can set the stain into the fabric
- Don't use detergents as these may cause colour loss
- Don't overwet as this may shrink fabrics or backing fibres.
- Don't soak the piping.
- Don't machine wash any upholstery covers, unless stated "machine washable". If you decide to ignore this warning, then we regret that we cannot be held responsible.
Top tips for cleaning your leather upholstery - Do's & Don'ts
- Do use a specialist cleaning kit as the preferred option.
- Do use a sponge or chamois leather soaked in warm water and wrung out until almost dry to remove stubborn stains.
- Do ensure that you wipe your leather upholstery dry with a soft clean cloth once it is cleaned.
- Do take extra care when cleaning upholstery with contrast piping and always try to control the amount of cleaner applied.
- Don't use detergents, spirit cleaners or furniture polish on leather.
Top tips for cleaning your show-wood facias - Do's & Don'ts
- Do use a damp, soft cloth or chamois leather, rinsed in warm water to clean show-wood facias.
- Don't use furniture polish on show wood.
- Don't use any solvent-based cleaners as these may damage or destroy the varnish.
Standard delivery for sofas costs £6.95
For more details please refer to the product page or click here >
Furniture Insurance available:
3 Year Protection £119.00Augusta Left Hand Corner Chaise SofaWas £1,619.00 Now £1,499.00 Save £120.00
Furniture Insurance available:
3 Year Protection £139.00Loreto Left-Hand Corner GroupWas £1,869.00 Now £1,799.00 Save £70.00
Furniture Insurance available:
3 Year Protection £39.00Logan Faux Leather SofabedWas £359.00 Now £239.00 Save £120.00
Furniture Insurance available:
3 Year Protection £159.00Napoli 3-Seater plus 2-Seater Leather Sofa Set - Next Day DeliveryWas £1,898.00 Now £1,688.00 Save £210.00
CandyCSC1745WE 55cm Fridge Freezer - WhiteWas £399.00 Now £259.00 Save £140.00
Service Guarantee available:
3 Year Protection £49.00SwanSR8070I American Style Frost Free Fridge Freezer Silver/InoxWas £869.00 Now £669.00 Save £200.00
Service Guarantee available:
3 Year Protection £49.00BekoCFD5834APW 55cm Frost Free Fridge Freezer - WhiteWas £449.00 Now £369.00 Save £80.00
Service Guarantee available:
3 Year Protection £49.00BekoCFD5834APS 55 cm Frost Free Fridge Freezer - SilverWas £469.00 Now £399.00 Save £70.00